Kevin brings extensive newsroom experience with the BBC, The Guardian and Gannett, including more than five years of management and leadership experience. He currently is the founder and principal of Ship’s Wheel Media, a full-service consultancy providing training, consulting and content services for clients around the world. His clients have included WAN-IFRA, YLE in Finland and the Eurovision Academy, the training division of the European Broadcasting Union.
Before joining Gannett, he held a number of pioneering positions with news organizations. In 1998, he became the BBC’s first online journalist based outside of the UK, covering the US for its award winning news website. In 2005, he went to London for the BBC where he developed a blogging strategy for BBC News, served on a corporate-wide blog and podcast steering committee, helped launch a program on BBC 5Live covering covering weblogs and podcasts and was on the team that launched the interactive radio program World Have Your Say on the BBC World Service.
From 2006 to 2010, he worked at The Guardian as its first blogs editor and then as its digital research editor. While blogs editor, he launched a culture blogs network, a successful food blog and an environmental blog network that incorporated both Guardian and independent content. As digital research editor, he was responsible for monitoring key developments in digital media and evaluating their value to Guardian journalists and audiences.
From June 2012 through July 2013, Kevin was a member of the management team of the Media Development Investment Fund and editor of the Fund’s Knowledge Bridge site and newsletter. The Media Development Investment Fund invests in independent news organizations in emerging democracies, and the Knowledge Bridge project is designed to help these news organizations make the digital transition.
From 2010 until he joined MDIF in 2012, he worked as a freelance journalist, a digital media consultant and a digital journalism trainer working with news organizations including Al Jazeera, Reed Business Information, Czech TV and CNN International.
I have experience in:
• Consulting for digital editorial product development, data journalism strategy and social media strategy.
• Consulting on WordPress projects for media companies and PR agencies.
• Training covering social media, data journalism, introductory data visualisation and general digital journalism skills.
• Freelance journalism, specialising in technology, the business of media and US politics and foreign policy.
• Speaking on topics including social media, journalism and semantic technologies, the business of media, location-based technologies and the future of journalism.